The global job market has been the most competitive for more than a decade now. The demand for skills and easy access to technologies to learn the in-demand skills has made job candidates all around the world review themselves and prove more efficient in every possible scenario. With the changing times and the recent work from home culture, speaking skills in video conferencing, writing skills for persuasive emails and other such business correspondence, the demand to get certified in speaking and writing English Language skills have seen a terrific rise over the years.
The TOEIC Speaking and Writing Test is one such test considered by the companies worldwide to recruit job seekers with efficient business English skills. Here, in this article, we will cover in details about this test for you to get started with the TOEIC Speaking and Writing Test.
In this article, we will discuss in details:
- About the TOEIC Speaking and Writing Test
- Duration and Questions
- Content of the TOEIC Speaking and Writing Test
- The registration process for the TOEIC Speaking and Writing Test
- Fee Structure of the TOEIC Speaking and Writing Test
- Test Score Overview
- Frequently Asked Questions
- AccioIbis for your TOEIC Speaking and Writing Test
About the TOEIC Speaking and Writing Test
The TOEIC Speaking and Writing Test is a rational assessment and valid measurement of English language speaking and writing skills required in a corporation. In today’s rapidly changing times, a huge number of companies worldwide use the TOEIC Speaking and Writing test scores to determine a candidate’s ability to communicate in spoken and written English with their associate and clients.
Through this test which is secured in terms of testing and scoring, ETS verify that:
- test takers have the same testing experience irrespective of their place and time
- no test taker is treated unfair and given any special advantage or disadvantage
- test scores remain fair and comparable across different institutions and administrations
- test questions based on real-life work situations provide an accurate evaluation of your ability to communicate in business English, which helps to get a more detailed analysis for your improvement
Duration and Questions
The TOEIC Speaking and Writing Test takes approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes for a test taker to complete and include two sections as the name suggests:
- Speaking Test
- Duration: 20 minutes
- 11 Questions in this section
- Writing Test
- Duration: 60 minutes
- 8 Questions in this section
Before the start of the test, additional 30 minutes are required to complete the mandatory administrative formalities.
Content of the TOEIC Speaking and Writing Test
In spoken and written language, test-takers have to respond to the real-world questions and scenarios to assess their skills used in the workplace.
The TOEIC Speaking test (Duration: approx 20 mins | 11 Questions)
The 11 questions are designed as such that it efficiently measures various aspects of test-takers speaking ability. Each question will be given specific directions, including the time allowed for preparing and speaking your response.
- Questions 1 and 2
- Text will appear on the screen, you will have to read out loud. With 45 seconds to prepare you will have the next 45 seconds to read the text out loud.
- Question 3
- Picture will appear on the screen and you have to describe it in the best detailed way possible. With 45 seconds to prepare your response you will have the next 45 seconds to speak about the picture displayed on the screen.
- Questions 4 to 6
- In this you will have to answer three questions and for each question you will have 3 seconds to prepare your response. For questions 4 and 5, you will be granted 15 seconds; and 30 seconds to respond to question 6.
- Questions 7 to 9
- In this part you will have to answer three questions on the basis of the information provided. Before the questions begin, you will be given 45 seconds to read the information. For each question, you will have 3 seconds to prepare your response. To answer questions 7 and 8, you will have 15 seconds; and 30 seconds to respond to question 9.
- Question 10
- You will be asked to propose a solution for the problem presented to you. To prepare your response you will have 45 seconds and in the next 60 seconds you will have to speak about the solution. In your response, be sure that you make the examiner realize that you have recognized the problem and also found a suitable way to deal with the same.
- Question 11
- For a particular topic, you will have to give your opinion. For this question, you will have 30 seconds to prepare your response and 60 seconds to speak about the opinion on a specific topic asked.
The TOEIC Writing test (Duration: approx 60 mins | 8 Questions)
The one hour TOEIC Writing Test measures different aspects of your writing ability. For each question, you will be given some specific directions with different time for your response.
- Questions 1 to 5
- Based on a picture, you will have to write 1 sentence. Two words or phrases will be provided with each picture, and you have to use them in your sentence. You are allowed to change the forms of the words and can also use them in any order.
- Questions 6 and 7
- Here you have to demonstrate how good you are at writing a response to an email. You will have 10 minutes to read and respond to each email.
- Question 8
- In response to a question, you will have to write an essay, explaining and supporting your opinion on an issue. A 300 word essay would be sufficient and efficient as well.
Get your IELTS/TOEFL/TOEIC writing & speaking scores in just SECONDS!
The registration process for the TOEIC Speaking and Writing Test
For the TOEIC Speaking and Writing Test candidates in the United States can contact the US ETS Preferred Network (EPN) with the help of details given below:
2025 M Street
Washington, DC 20036-4505
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 1-866-383-9234 or 1-202-664-1854
Candidates or Test Takers in Canada can register online.
43-45, rue Taitbout
75009 Paris, France
Phone:+(33) 1 40 75 95 20
Fax:+(33) 1 42 56 65 27
Institute for International Business Communication (IIBC)
Sanno Grand Building
2-14-2 Nagata-cho, Chiyoda-ku
SOUTH KOREA, SEOUL
Jongno 98, Jongno 2-ga, Jongno-gu
Seoul 03191, Korea
If you are a test taker applying from outside of the countries mentioned above, you must contact your local ETS Preferred Network (EPN) office, to know the availability of the TOEIC Speaking and Writing Tests.
If you find difficulty in accessing the information or if your country doesn’t have and EPN Office, please fill out an information request form or contact the ETS official team by:
Mail: TOEIC Program
Educational Testing Service
Princeton, NJ 08541 USA
Email: [email protected]
Fee Structure of the TOEIC Speaking and Writing Test
Fees are generally set by exam centres. You can expect to pay approximately $85 USD for the TOEIC Speaking and Writing Test.
However, the prices vary from place to place, for exact information about the fee structure in your country you can contact the local ETS Preferred Network (EPN) Office.
Test Score Overview
The TOEIC Speaking and Writing test measures your proficiency levels in listening and reading in the English Language and hence is not pass or fail in nature. The overall score in the test is determined by the number of correct answers and then converted to a scaled score. Here, the scores are scaled from 0 to 200 points. For test takers with disabilities, please see the Disability Accommodations Guidelines (PDF).
In the speaking section, questions 1 to 9 are rated on a scale of 0-3, questions 10 and 11 are rated on a scale of 0-5, with eight proficiency levels provided. In the writing section, questions 1 to 5 are rated on a scale of 0-3, questions 6 and 7 are rated on a scale of 0-4 and question 8 is rated on a scale of 0-5. The sum of ratings is then converted to a scaled score of 0-200.
For understanding strengths and weaknesses and proficiency levels, a TOEIC test taker may see the TOEIC Speaking and Writing Examinee Handbook (PDF).
Frequently Asked Questions
Speaking and Writing in English Language are practical skills that are functional in business interactions. Having the test scores can be a supportive evidence of your ability to advance your career. Your TOEIC scores give you a competitive edge over other candidates.
All the TOEIC tests are administered via computer. The tests held in public sessions are administered on specific dates at secure internet-based test centres.
For these details, please contact your EPN member for more information.
In TOEIC tests, there are no passing or failing scores as such. The tests measure your proficiency level in English Language skills. A good score always does wonders but there is no criteria which can lead to failing the test.
A test-taker’s English Language skills can improve or deteriorate over time. For this reason, a recent score is more likely to be a valid assessment of your skills. Hence, test scores are only valid for a period of two years.
Now get scores instantly, in just SECONDS!
Evaluate writing and speaking scores with detailed breakdown and suggestions. Practice in realtime and improve your score. Get access to study materials and unlimited training exercises.
AccioIbis for your TOEIC Speaking and Writing Test
If you are a test taker who is determined to improve your scores and keep a check on your progress for a better understanding of your TOEIC test, AccioIbis is a platform you have been desperately looking for. AccioIbis is a premier platform which uses artificial intelligence and machine learning algorithms for evaluating your scores, which is indeed the best part as there is no human bias on your scores.
AccioIbis is also mobile-responsive which makes it easier for a test-taker to get their Speaking and Writing skills evaluated at their convenience. It gives you the power to evaluate and grade scores instantly and get suggestions and corrections as per the official scoring criteria in seconds. It also offers 24 hours of premium services for free, if you register for the very first time. You can evaluate 3 speaking and writing tasks each for free before you go for the premium membership.