Applying for a job in a foreign country which requires you to use your English language skills? Preferably, the TOEIC Listening and Reading Test, conducted by ETS, would be a great boost to your confidence and a great addition to your resume as well. As the name suggests, this test covers both reading and listening comprehension tests, which sets a high standard for companies to consider these scores at the time of interview.
Looking for a complete guide which could help you get started with your preparation for TOEIC Listening and Reading test. Great! You’ve landed at the right place to kickstart your TOEIC journey.
In this article, we’ll discuss briefly:
- About the TOEIC Listening and Reading Test
- Duration and Questions
- Content of the TOEIC Listening and Reading Test
- The registration process for the TOEIC Listening and Reading Test
- Fee Structure of the TOEIC Listening and Reading Test
- Checklist for your TOEIC test day
- Test Score Overview
About the TOEIC Listening and Reading Test
The TOEIC Listening and Reading Test is a rational and valid measurement or assessment of English language listening and reading skills required in a corporation. Today, the companies all over the world use the TOEIC Listening and Reading test scores to determine who is effectively skilled in communicating in English with both the compeer associate and clients across the borders.
Through this test which is secured in terms of testing and scoring, ETS verify that:
- test takers have the same testing experience no matter the place and time
- no test taker is unfairly advantaged or disadvantaged
- test scores remain fair and comparable across administrations
- test questions based on real-life work situations provide an accurate evaluation of your ability to communicate in English
Duration and Questions
The TOEIC Listening and Reading test takes 2 hours and 30 minutes to complete and comprises of 2 sections as the name of the test suggests:
- Listening Comprehension Section
- Duration: 45 minutes
- 100 Questions in this section
- Reading Comprehension Section
- Duration: 75 minutes
- 100 Questions in this section as well
Additional 30 minutes is taken into account to answer biographical questions.
Content of the TOEIC Listening and Reading Test
TOEIC Listening Test (Duration: approx 45 mins| 100 Questions)
NOTE: Be very careful while listening to the narrations, comprehensions or conversations, before selecting your answer
The questions are generally asked from different categories as mentioned below:
- Photographs (Probable number of questions: 06)
- Four short statements regarding a photograph will be spoken only one time. The statements will not be printed. Of these four statements, select the one that best describes the photograph and mark your answer on the answer sheet.
- Question Response (Probable number of questions: 25)Three responses to one question or statement will be spoken only one time. They will not be printed. Select the best response for the question, and mark your answer on the answer sheet.
- Conversations (Probable number of questions: 39)
- In this part, conversations between two or three people will be made available for the test, spoken only one time. No caption or printed text will be made available.
- Listen carefully to each conversation and read the questions printed (questions will be spoken as well), find out the best appropriate response for the question and mark it on the answer sheet.
- There might be questions related to information found in diagrams. For each conversation, there are three questions.
- Talks (Probable number of questions: 30)
- Short talks such as announcements or narrations will be spoken only one time. They will not be printed. Listen to each talk and read the questions printed in the test book (the questions will also be spoken), select the best response for the question, and mark your answer on the answer sheet. Some questions may require responses related to information found in diagrams, etc. printed on the test book as well as what you heard in the talks. There are three questions for each talk.
TOEIC Reading Test (Duration: approx 75 mins| 100 Questions)
The content is categorised as mentioned below:
- Incomplete sentences (Probable number of questions: 30)
- A test takers has to select the best answer of the four choices to complete the sentence.
- Error recognition or Text Completion (Probable number of questions: 16)
- Test taker have to select the best appropriate answer of the four choices (it may be words, phrases, or sentence) to complete the text. For each text, there will be four questions.
- Reading Comprehension (Probable number of questions: 54)
- The last part is further divided as Single Passages (29 questions) and Multiple Passages (25 questions). In this, some questions may require you to select the best place to insert a sentence within a text.
The registration process for the TOEIC Listening and Reading Test
The TOEIC Listening and Reading Test are generally held in two distinct sessions: public and institutional test sessions.
About Public Test Session
Public test sessions are held 12 times a year in both the United States and Canada. For the candidates outside US and Canada, you can contact your local ETS Preferred Network (EPN) Office to check the test dates and availability in your country.
To register for a public test session and find test centres and dates, go and check out the links according to your preference, provided below:
About Institutional Test Session
The Institutional Test Session for the TOEIC Listening and Reading Test are preferably offered by your language school or the employer. To register for the institutional test sessions, you can contact your associate or instructor at your organization or school.
Get your IELTS/TOEFL/TOEIC writing & speaking scores in just SECONDS!
Fee Structure of the TOEIC Listening and Reading Test
Fees are generally set by exam centres. You can expect to pay approximately $85 USD for the TOEIC Listening and Reading Test.
However, the prices vary from place to place, for exact information about the fee structure in your country you can contact the local ETS Preferred Network (EPN) Office.
Checklist for your TOEIC test day
What items to carry to your test centre?
On your test day, you must have the below-mentioned materials:
- Two valid forms for identification which has your name, photograph and signature. Please check if the id you’ll be carrying with you has not expired. The acceptable forms for valid identification include:
- National ID
- State ID
- Driver’s license
- Military ID
- Two pencils with erasers.
Now as you know what items to carry let’s also have a clear understanding of what personal items are prohibited.
Below are some prohibited items:
- any electronic devices
- mobile phones
- alarm clocks
- photographic equipment
- recording equipment or books
- dictionaries or pocketbooks
- listening devices
The list is not limited to the items mentioned above, but even if you have carried those prohibited items, you can leave it in your car or get it stored in the locker, if such facility is provided at your test centre.
Test Score Overview
The TOEIC Listening and Reading test measures your proficiency levels in listening and reading in the English Language and hence is not pass or fail in nature. The overall score in the test is determined by the number of correct answers which is further converted to a scaled score. For test takers with disabilities, please see the Disability Accommodations Guidelines (PDF).
For understanding strengths and weaknesses and areas where there is a need for improvement, a test taker may check The TOEIC Listening and Reading Score Descriptors (PDF)
The TOEIC Listening and Reading Can-Do Guide (PDF) may help you understand the TOEIC test scores.
Frequently asked questions
TOEIC scores are used by companies, corporations, language schools, universities, colleges and government agencies worldwide. Schools and universities in huge numbers have started using this test to guide placement decisions to monitor their progress. Companies use this test as it demonstrates an individual’s proficiency in the English Language.
Contact your EPN member for more detailed information.
Test scores are basically decided by the correct answers attempted by the test-takers, which is then converted to a scaled point. Test scores are valid for a time period of 2 years. It is because the test measures your proficiency in the English Language at the time you are appearing for the test, and English skills are such that it may improve or deteriorate over years.
It totally depends on your location. Generally, it takes three to four weeks for the test scores to arrive.
The TOEIC Listening and Reading test are not pass-fail in nature. It helps in measuring an individual’s proficiency levels in listening and reading in English.
Now get scores instantly, in just SECONDS!
Evaluate writing and speaking scores with detailed breakdown and suggestions. Practice in realtime and improve your score. Get access to study materials and unlimited training exercises.
AccioIbis for your TOEIC Listening and Reading Test
If you are dedicated to improving your TOEIC test scores then AccioIbis is the best available option for a better understanding of your English Language skills with proper analysis. You can INSTANTLY evaluate your TOEIC reading and listening tasks and get scores along with detailed feedback and suggestions. Also, AccioIbis is the only platform that can evaluate all the speaking tasks instantly and give you detailed feedback in just seconds!
Students around the globe are using AccioIbis to improve their TOEIC exam scores so what are you waiting for?
AccioIbis assures that the scores provided are accurate and also gives detailed feedback for the same, to understand the grammatical and syntax errors with spell checkers as well. With AccioIbis TOEIC Instant Writing and Speaking evaluation feature, you will have the power in your hands, no more waiting no more searching for the right teacher or mentor, simply register and start practising. You can practice from any device from any place at your own convenience.