The pandemic situation all over the globe is quite challenging and risk-taking. Though it has been an objection for people all over the world, few things would be going on like work, education and few daily activities. One such activity is the examination for educational purpose. TOEFL is a platform which has altered few rules according to the situation. The home edition already exists in TOEFL but there are few changes made in them.
The opening of test centres would start once the world is efficient to fight with the pandemic. The starting of test centres would vary from one place to another. The centres would also follow all the precautions that are required to prevent the risk of spread the virus.
The Educational Testing Service has also taken steps for the smooth functioning of the exam. They have decided to reschedule, change the test centre, returning of the fee so that one can re-book for the examination.
The score sheets might be delivered within one or two weeks of the exam. It may be delayed due to the situation all over the globe. The scores will be available even after two years after the exam.
Hence, below are a few things which should be noted. It will be helpful to know the complete process.
List of the contents –
- TOEFL exam
- TOEFL home edition
- Steps to register
- Requirements for the exam
- Preparation tips
- Pattern & key points
Introduction to TOEFL exam:
The full form of TOEFL is the Test of English as a Foreign Language. The exam helps to get admissions in American and Canadian universities. It is about presenting and testing the skills in English as a language and also to depict the ability in reading, writing, listening and speaking.
It helps to pursue higher education and also for seeking employment in countries like Canada, Australia, New Zealand, UK. It is conducted by Educational Testing Service. The students are also eligible for scholarships. It is accepted in almost 10,000 institutions and universities.
The recent update about the exam is ETS has organised the exam at home known as home edition. The exam fee differs from place to place. The revised rules and guidelines are posted on the official website.
TOEFL Home Edition:
Due to the present scenario all over the world, the Educational Testing Service has launched the special TOEFL home edition. It is for the students who want to get accomplished in the exam and also complete their wishes. The home edition will be having the same concept, content, format and the on-screen experiences as at the test-centres. Until September 30, the home edition will be available for four days in a week.
ETS has also made the few alterations in the fee payment schedule of the exam. The only difference is instead of computer-based it is regulated by Human Proctor online through Proctor. The appointments will be notified as early within 24 hours of the registration. The home edition is yet to be implemented in Mainland China and Iran.
How to register for the TOEFL Home Edition
- The first step is to have an ID which is an identity card. The prominent one is the passport. If one does not have it they can check the other id or proofs required.
- The second step is to create an account if a person does not have one. The account must be an ETS account for TOEFL home edition.
- One can log into the account and get registered or find test centres.
- After finding a test centre, one can also select the respective date. One can select the time and date with ProctorU. The option of Special Home Edition will appear if it is valid in the given country through the address mentioned.
- After the above steps, one can complete the registration and also pay the fees.
- One would receive a confirmation mail from both ETS services and ProctorU. The ProctorU can be used to fix date and time or keep it for further use.
Requirements for the TOEFL Home Edition:
The eminent part of the exam is the type of necessity to complete the examination. The special home edition is prevailed at few places to support the students who have been affected due to the pandemic.
- The ETS special home edition should be available at one’s own place, location and country.
- The computer must be equipped to install the ETS software and also the ProctorU.
- The entire test will be recorded with the help of artificial intelligence and human proctor.
- One need must be seated in a proper and comfortable place. As the pictures are sent to the head department so one must also be dressed well.
- On the day of the exam, one should log into the Proctor account at least before 20 minutes so that the technical issues can be cleared.
- During the test, one must not misconduct or behave awkwardly as the entire examination is recorded.
- After the exam one can see the test scores after a week or within 6 days. The same happens in the exam taken at TOEFL test centres.
The main things required are as below:
- A personal computer or MAC with all the latest software installed in it.
- A separate microphone which is not connected to the headset.
- Earphones cannot be used.
- Speakers which are external and not connected to any other device.
- The essential part is the camera which should be in-built and can be rotated to a complete angle (360).
- One must not have eatables during the exam period.
- The note-taking materials must be in a way that the answers are erasable because it should not display plagiarism.
Note – there would be a break after the listening section. It would be for 10minutes. One must return back on time or else the test and exam fee will be cancelled.
TOEFL Home Edition preparation tips
- One can take the trial round to ensure the proper working of the Proctor Set.
- Proctor set live chat can also be enabled during this process and a link is been sent.
- The link will help to download the software app which opens the chat window.
- One should log into the system before 30 minutes or an hour to connect to a chat server specialist because it is a time-consuming process.
- Sometimes, there can be an issue with the server as it would not react to the words spoken by the candidate.
- This is a quite known issue so no worries. It would be taken care of.
- There are 4 sections which are to be answered. They are reading, listening, speaking and writing sections.
The reading section must have these key points:
a. The voice must be audible.
b. It should be free from grammatical errors.
c. Perfect practice makes one perfect.
- The listening section should have:
a. Attention and concentration
b. Being fluent and good at accent
c. Watch TV/ radio broadcasts.
d. Make note of key points.
- The speaking section should have:
a. Proper and audible voice.
b. Know about the topic.
c. Being able to record the voice properly.
- The writing section must follow:
a. Good research about topics.
b. A habit of reading and practising academics.
- Like everything has a standard point even the exam has minimum scores to pass it. One should make sure to have knowledge about it.
- The ETS has made a platform for practice. The test can also be taken online. It also has a time limit which should be pursued.
- Along with these tips, one must have enough will to complete the examination.
As Christopher Columbus said, “one can never cross the ocean until one has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
TOEFL Home Edition Exam pattern :
Time period: 60-70 minutes
There are 3-4 passages. Each can have 700 words. Per passage would have approximately 10 questions.
Time period: 40-60 minutes
You have to listen to the audio and then one can take the notes. Accordingly one can start giving a response. There would be two kinds of conversations. There are 2-3 conversations in the form of lecture (600-800 words) and 1-2 in the form of conversations (12-30 exchanges) between two people. The time limit for each is 3-5 minutes. The question for each part can be 5-6.
The candidate must have good knowledge about the topic. One must be fluent enough with the vocabulary, grammar and make connections between the responses.
One should also make sure to erase the notes made at the end which is recorded by the Proctor.
- There would be a 10-minute break before the start of the next section. As mentioned above one must come back before or within the break. The outcome to violate this would be a cancellation of the exam.
Time period: 17 minutes
It has 1 independent and 3 integrated tasks.
The independent section has 15 seconds for preparation and 45 seconds to the response.
The integrated task has three queries, 30 seconds for preparation and 60 seconds for a response.
The candidate must use multi-skills and answer this part. One needs to be confident and also needs to listen, speak and make notes of important points. The note helps to paraphrase and also make the answer quite well structured.
Time period: 50 minutes
The part once again is sub-divided into independent and integrated tasks.
Independent is for 20 minutes and one needs to respond to a given passage and write about their opinion, views about it.
The integrated task is for 30 minutes and it would be an essay type. Then there will be audio played, one needs to respond likely. The topics will be related to academics or in general. The answer needs to be typed and sent to ETS. They will be verified by artificial intelligence and human experts so that it is not unfair.
Key Highlights | Points to remember
- TOEFL: Test Of English As Foreign Language
- Special home edition availability: September 30, 2020
- Create an account and have the requirements like a personal computer, microphone, speakers, in-built camera and good internet connection.
- Make sure the requirements meet the official guidelines.
- The syllabus is related to general topics and about one’s perspective on the same.
- There are four sections: reading, listening, speaking and writing.
- Time period: 3 hours
- For speaking and writing, there are two tasks namely: independent and integrated.
- One must be well-versed in grammar, vocabulary and accent.
- One must be able to make relations with the response and the query which is given.
- The official website and books like Cambridge preparation for TOEFL, essential words for TOEFL can help in cracking the examination.
AccioIbis for your TOEFL Home Edition
If you are dedicated to improving your TOEFL Home Edition Score then AccioIbis is the best solution. You can INSTANTLY evaluate your TOEFL speaking tasks and get scores along with detailed feedback and suggestions. Also, AccioIbis is the only platform that can evaluate all the writing and speaking tasks instantly and give you detailed feedback in just seconds!
Students around the globe are using AccioIbis to improve their TOEFL scores so what are you waiting for?
Now get scores INSTANTLY!
Evaluate your IELTS/TOEFL writing and speaking scores with corrections and suggestions. Practice in Real-Time and improve your exam scores.
With AccioIbis TOEFL Instant Writing evaluation, you will get the power in your hands, no more waiting no more searching for the right teacher, simply register and start practising. You can practice from any device from any place.
Frequently Asked Questions
Due to the shut-down of test centres and the pandemic spread across the globe.
It is been extended to September 30, 2020, until the test centres re-open.
Artificial intelligence technology as well live proctors are used during the exam.
It would appear within a week or 6 days.
The guidelines are available on the official TOEFL website. Even a disabled person can participate in the test.
One can contact the TOEFL customer service and intimate them about the problem.
Yes, one can change from a physical test centre to home edition.
One will receive half amount of the original fee if the exam is cancelled before 4 days of the actual date of the exam.
“don’t stress, do best, forget the rest”.