The entire world is in the clutches of a minute virus named Covid-19. Due to this pandemic situation, most of the sectors were closed for months together. But problems lead to new solutions. One such is an online platform. Most of the sectors have found this platform as a boon to fight against this situation. The authorities which organize IELTS/TOEFL has also given candidates the chance to write these examinations through an online platform. But there is a question that arises about its preparation. With the pandemic everyone is home and this is the right time to utilise your free time to prepare for the exam. So in this article, we will give you some valuable information about “How to practice IELTS/TOEFL from home during the pandemic.“
Table of Content:
- Brief introduction TOEFL and IELTS 2020
- AccioIbis – your exam preparation guide
- Other online resources
- Registration for TOEFL and IELTS
- Tips to prepare
- Points to Remember
Brief Introduction to TOEFL and IELTS 2020:
Test of English as Foreign Language is the full form of TOEFL. It is an exam organised by the Educational Testing Service. It is written by students who are aspirants to study, immigrate or work abroad. It has around 4,600 test centres in 163 countries. It is accepted by almost 10,500 institutions, organisations, agencies and universities. It tests speaking, listening, writing and reading skills of a person. The scores are valid for two years after the examination.
Due to the pandemic, the organisers have started conducting the exam online. TOEFL special home edition is launched for students who are determined about their goals. It is regulated by the human proctor to avoid any discrepancies. The concept, content, time limit and format are the same and no changes are made in the question paper. The registrations can be done anytime and the appointments will be intimated within 24 hours of the application. The exam is available four days a week.
The requirements are ID proof, ETS account, speakers, good internet connection, personal computer, separate microphone and note-taking materials which can be erased.
International English Language Testing Service is the complete form of IELTS. It is conducted by IDP Education Australia, British Council and Cambridge English Language Assessment. It is taken by candidates from New Zealand, UK, Canada and USA. The main motto of the test is to check the ability to communicate in English. Along with this other skill like reading, listening, writing and speaking are also checked. It is written for the purpose to either settle abroad or for higher education purposes.
The exam is of two types. The one written for the purpose of higher education is known as IELTS Academic Task. The test taken up for gaining work experience, training or immigration purposes is known as IELTS General Training. Through this one can also get scholarships which can help the student financially.
The authorities have planned to conduct the exam on the online platform because of the present scenario of Covid-19. The test is known as IELTS Indicator Test. One also receives indicators(marks), so that one can improve on the respective parts. The test is available 4 times in a month and 48 times in a year. This is not an alternative but just an attempt or candidates who have to complete their education.
The requirements are ID proof, exam browser, zoom application, personal computer, good internet connection and microphone, speakers.
Now get scores INSTANTLY!
Evaluate your IELTS/TOEFL writing and speaking scores with corrections and suggestions. Practice in Real-Time and improve your exam scores.
AccioIbis: your exam preparation guide
It is an artificial intelligence-powered application. It uses cutting edge Neuro-Linguistic Programme, Machine learning and Neural Network Algorithms. It helps in instant evaluation of the answers given for the writing and speaking section. The evaluation criteria are based on the British Council and Educational Testing Service. These scores can be set as a point of reference for further improvements. It is a user-friendly application as well as a website which gives insights about every possible aspect required for the examination. The premier platform guides the candidate for various tests by evaluating their scores for speaking and essay writing in the English language.
The purpose to choose this website is quite clear. The evaluation is done at the minute level. Every word is been verified, I.e. if there is a proper noun repeated more than three times it is highlighted and the synonym for the word is given. If there are any grammatical errors or spelling mistakes even those are highlighted, along with their replacements. These two points are very beneficial for a candidate as it’s easy to remember and one can improve bit-by-bit every day.
This is very useful as a candidate can level up their performance and get brighter colours in their results.
Other Online Resources for Exam-Preparation:
There are many resources which are available online in the form of websites, books, guides, applications and many other forms. Given below are the prominent resources one can look into during their preparation. They are:
- Documentaries: it gives us an idea about the way people speak in English. One can learn vocabulary, new words and also accent which can help candidates to speak effectively.
- The British Council: it is a website which has podcasts and magazines for new learners. There are also activities for them along with videos of candidates who have scored well in the test.
- Exam-Practice: it is one of the major platforms for exam preparation. This website provides full-length mock exams along with study materials.
- Magoosh: it is an online website which provides guides, books, practice tests and many more informative documents to help the students.
- IELTS Buddy: this is a place where one can find model question papers with answers. It is segregated according to the band score so that one can practice and improve accordingly.
- Ted talks: this is a platform where eminent people speak about life, science, technology, social work and other achievements, experiences. It gives an idea about different topics which are prevailing, vocabulary and fluency. They are in the form of video lectures and also books are available. It is beneficial to enrich knowledge and improve reading comprehension skills.
- IELTS Liz: it is a popular YouTube channel which has excellent videos from English teachers who are very helpful. They don’t only focus on skills which are required but also on how to greet the examiner, what and how to speak. These can develop the overall abilities of a person.
- ETS Sources: there are many sub-resources under this section for TOEFL preparation. A few of them are TOEFL TV, TOEFL practice sets, Quick prep, TOEFL Planner and Full-length official TOEFL practice test and many other. This would help the person to improve in all aspects via audio and visual.
Registration for TOEFL and IELTS:
TOEFL Registration process:
a. Visit the official website of Educational Testing Service.
b. Fill in the form and upload the required details.
c. Make sure the environment requirements are met.
d. Select the exam date and time.
e. Pay the exam fee.
f. Once the procedures are completed one should install Proctor through which the further exam details are given.
IELTS Registration process:
a. Visit the official website of IELTS.
b. Fill the application and submit the response,
c. Select the exam type, date and time of the test.
d. Upload all the required documents.
e. The mode of payment must be selected and once the payment is done, the confirmation is received.
f. The zoom application and safe exam browser through which the exam is completed.
Tips to prepare:
IELTS and TOEFL Tips:
- Organise the plan: it refers to have systematic steps about the studying pattern. It is prominent to have an order to recite things accordingly. It helps to save time, do things on time and also glance the response before submission.
- Know the presentation: one must be thorough about the exam format. It includes the timing, number of questions, sub-sections, time one can spend on each query and also types of the query given. This might be beneficial to mentally be prepared for the examination.
- Practice: the main key concept to win in a sector is one’s own efforts and capability to work hard for their goals. Revision of concepts for several times and solving queries related to the same. This agenda will assist in the future. As the things are available at the tips of a finger these days, it has become more convenient to practice anytime and anywhere.
- Enhance listening skills: one who can listen better can also speak better. It is very necessary to have a good ability to hear and interpret things accordingly. One can hear to ted talks, audio clippings and conversations which can improve listening as well as speaking capabilities of an individual.
- Write, write: this is another quality on which one should improve. The answers must not be less than minimum words. In the given time the answers must be completed. The vocabulary and grammatical errors must be checked. All this is possible only if one practices on a daily basis for a given time limit and improves every day.
- Fluency and vocabulary: the part which is tested during the examination is fluency and vocabulary. Reading magazines, newspapers, books and guides which help in vocabulary as well as the pronunciation of the same will create a good impact on the person answering during the exam.
Points to remember:
- TOEFL: a test of English as a foreign language.
- TOEFL Home Edition: alternative during the pandemic
- IELTS: International English language testing service.
- IELTS Home Edition: IELTS indicator test.
- Abilities required: reading, writing, speaking and listening in English
- ID proof, ETS account, speakers, good internet connection, personal computer, separate microphone and note-taking: requirements for TOEFL
- ID proof, exam browser, zoom application, personal computer, good internet connection and microphone, speakers: requirements for IELTS
- ACCIOIBIS: artificial-intelligence powered application. It uses cutting edge Neuro-Linguistic Programme, Machine learning and Neural Network Algorithms.
- Benefits: highlights: grammatical errors. Words used more than three times, spelling mistakes
Quick strategies for IELTS and TOEFL exam preparation
- Organize, Know the format, Practice, Write and fluency and vocabulary.
- Watch English movies which are based on general topics and suits the genre you are looking for along with subtitles.
- Write dairy, letters, blogs, short essays to your friends and family on the subject you like.
- Speak to teachers and people who speak good English which may help to increase fluency and politeness.
- Reading journals, articles and visiting libraries, e-books must be a part of the daily routine.
- Implementation of word count and time limit while practising will be benefactors.
- Listening to top radio channels and making English as a part of everyday life.
No, it is not an alternative. It checks the scores of an individual and helps to know their position.
The medical application must be submitted within five days and the amount will be refunded.
IELTS academic is for candidates willing to study abroad. IELTS general training is for candidates who wish to migrate to other countries for work.
One can give the exam as many times as one wish.
It depends on the place where one is located. The standard amount is the same for everyone.
One has to sit in a very calm and composed place with zero disturbance and good connectivity of the internet.
There is no such rule of wearing a particular dress. One needs to maintain the decorum and dress up accordingly which makes them feel comfortable.
The exam hall will provide you with headphones
AccioIbis for your IELTS/TOEFL Test
If you are dedicated to improving your IELTS/TOEFL Test then AccioIbis is the best solution. You can INSTANTLY evaluate your IELTS/TOEFL writing and speaking tasks and get scores along with detailed feedback and suggestions. Also, AccioIbis is the only platform that can evaluate all the speaking tasks instantly and give you detailed feedback in just seconds!
Students around the globe are using AccioIbis to improve their IELTS/TOEFL exam scoresso what are you waiting for?
With AccioIbis IELTS/TOEFL Instant Writing and Speaking evaluation, you will get the power in your hands, no more waiting no more searching for the right teacher, simply register and start practising. You can practice from any device from any place.
The above-given points might help to attend the examination. Being self-confident and patient when the entire world is in the pandemic will help to manage the balance of life and studies. Never give up, until you reach up.
ALL THE BEST, DO NOT GIVE UP THE REST