What is the TOEFL test?
The TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) is a standardized English language proficiency test taken by students looking for abroad education or immigration in the English speaking country. It measures your ability to use and perceive English at an English speaking context. It is designed and administered by the Academic Testing Service (ETS), a non-profit organization that conjointly scores and sends out the score reports. Through a mix of listening, speaking, reading, and writing, it determines your ability to perform the tutorial tasks that are needed by your university. It’s the foremost common and most university-approved standardized English-language test. It’s accepted at over 10,000 universities and establishments worldwide. Here is a Quick TOEFL exam guide for your 2020 TOEFL exam preparation.
Quick TOEFL exam guide
What is the format of the TOEFL test?
The TOEFL is split into four sections that are every designed to work out your ability to speak in English.
The TOEFL test has 4 sections –
- Reading – 60 – 80 minutes, with 35-56 queries. The Reading section has 3 to four educational passages, the same as what you would possibly realize in a very college-level textbook. You’re asked to browse every passage, and so answer queries designed to check your ability to understand the passage and interpret it’s that means.
- Listening – 60 – 90 minutes, with thirty-four – fifty-one queries. The Listening section consists of half dozen – nine passages, concerning three-five minutes long. The passages embody student conversations and educational lectures and discussions, compete just once. There are five – half dozen corresponding queries that measure your ability to know the most purpose also as details, implications of ideas, and also the speaker’s purpose.
- Speaking – 20 minutes, with six tasks. In 2 of the tasks, you’re asked for your opinion on acquainted topics. On the remaining four tasks, you’ll either hear, or browse a brief passage, and answer queries supported the topics. The topics are either educational lectures or field things. You’ll be evaluated on your ability to know the data and so communicate your thoughts ad labium, coherently, and clearly.
- Writing – 50 minutes, with 2 tasks. This section is intended to work out your ability to write down in a tutorial setting. You’ll be asked to write down an outline of a discussion (the Integrated Writing section) associate degreed an essay stating your opinion (the freelance Writing section).
TOEFL scoring criteria
The TOEFL is split into four sections, Reading, Listening, Writing, and Speaking. Every section is scored between zero and thirty points. The total of those scores provides you with your total TOEFL score. In order to make sure accuracy, consistency, and fairness, ETS uses a centralized grading network.
The scores area unit derived from TOEFL raw scores (0 – 10) and then converted to a scale of 0- 30. The raw scores area unit supported raw points or the points earned as a result of every correct answer.
As an example, if you answer thirty of the potential thirty-five Reading queries correct, you may receive a raw score of thirty. There’s no penalty for incorrect answers, thus do your best to answer every single question, even though you have got to guess. Universities take into account your scaled scores.
Reading and Listening Section Scores
The Reading and Listening sections have one right answer, thus use machine-driven grading. There are 2 forms of queries, single answer queries and multiple answer queries. The questions are mostly MCQ types. Most of the MCQ type question containes 1 point. Every multiple answer question containes 2 or 3 points, betting on what percentage answer decisions you have got. You’ll earn partial credit on multiple answer queries. These purpose totals add up to your raw score. Your most TOEFL raw score on Reading is 45 and in listening is 34.
Quick TOEFL exam guide
Speaking and Writing Section Scores
The Writing and Speaking sections area unit way more nuanced, thus need to be scored by someone.
Speaking Section Scores
The Speaking section is digitally recorded so evaluated by 3 to 6 raters. Each of the six tasks is rated from 0 – 4, providing you with a possible raw score of twenty-four points for every critic. You may be awarded one purpose only for finishing the task and speaking in English.
Quick TOEFL exam guide
Writing Section Scores
Each individual task within the Writing section (the Integrated task and also the Independent task) is scored on a scale of 0-5, for doubtless total 10 raw points. You may receive one purpose only for finishing every task in English. The total of those scores is scaled to 0 – 30. Writing is scored by evaluating your synchronic linguistics, organization, and vocabulary, moreover because of the overall Writing quality.
N.B. The speaking and the writing section is graded my ETS – E-rater (an AI application) and also by an human. The final score is a combined score of both a machine and a human.
Grade Writing & Speaking scores Instantly
Evalute and Grade IELTS & TOEFL writing and speaking scores in seconds with Artificial Intelligence
AccioIbis for TOEFL writing and speaking
AccioIbis is the only platform that uses cutting edge Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning algorithm to evaluate your TOEFL writing and speaking scores instantly in just seconds like ETS E-Rater.
Quick TOEFL exam guide
What is a smart TOEFL Score?
A smart TOEFL score depends entirely on what faculty you’re attempting to urge into. Schools and Universities typically set a needed minimum TOEFL score for entrance. The minimum TOEFL scores vary between concerning 60 – 110. The average minimum TOEFL score for hierarchal national USA Universities is 71. for undergraduates. Hierarchal national humanistic discipline schools have a mean minimum TOEFL score of 85 (from USA News & World Report). If you’re applying to an extremely selective university, you ought to be after a TOEFL score of a minimum of 100. For school programs, it varies between colleges and individual programs yet. Most top-ranked MBA programs need a minimum TOEFL score of concerning 105.
Steps to obtaining an honest TOEFL Score
For most students, the key to obtaining an honest score is to follow the tips: –
Take a follow TOEFL check – This is often the simplest thanks to confirming wherever you’re, and wherever you wish to be. Once you’ve taken a follow check and selected the faculties you’d wish to attend, you’ll be able to confirm what an honest TOEFL score is for you.
Prepare yourself – Most students want between six months and a year to adequately prepare. Confirm you perceive what the TOEFL is testing and therefore the format, build a study schedule and persist with it. Confirm nothing on the check may be a surprise. You can take TOEFL Mock Exams, this will help you get ready for the TOEFL test.
Build your vocabulary – A part of your TOEFL check homework must be concerning systematically building your usable English vocabulary, particularly in tutorial subjects. Typically students overlook the tutorial nature of the check. Although you’re a superb informal speaker, you’ll be stunned that the vocabulary on the TOEFL is totally different than what you’re accustomed. Prepare yourself by turning into skilful in several material vocabularies.
Take a TOEFL homework course – If your scores aren’t what you wish them to be, you’ll want steerage and skilled recommendation. A homework course can give that, also as targeted follow. Take a glance at an outline of the simplest TOEFL homework courses.
Focus on writing and speaking – The hardest part of the TOEFL exam is the writing and speaking and most of the students struggle in this section. So you should and must prepare yourself for these 2 sections. You can train for your TOEFL writing and speaking with AccioIbis
Quick TOEFL exam guide
What to do if you have low TOEFL Score?
- The TOEFL is formed to be rigorous. It is long, the vocabulary is commonly tougher than most students are accustomed to, and you can not repeat the perceptible passages. If you discover that the check was tougher than expected otherwise you simply did worse than expected their square measure several things that you simply will do: Determine if you’ll be able to eliminate the TOEFL from your application package. Some colleges provide TOEFL waivers to students. Confer with the admissions officers concerning potential TOEFL substitutions. And a number of colleges can permit students with high ACT, SAT, or different standardized check scores to waive the TOEFL also.
- Determine if your faculty offers “conditional acceptance.” Some colleges provide conditional admission to students with low TOEFL scores. If you’ve got an associate degree otherwise sturdy admissions package. Ask the admissions officer if your faculty can permit you. Most frequently a conditional admission would force you to require a lot of English as Second Language categories, or somehow demonstrate your English skills in our own way (retaking the TOEFL, perhaps). Sometimes, once offered conditional admission, you’re still able to take categories in your major and sometimes, the university offers ESL courses on the campus. Once taking the courses or demonstrating associate degree improvement in your West Germanic skills, you’re offered full acceptance.
- Take the IELTS. The IELTS (International West Germanic Testing System) is another check designed to see your ability to scan, write, speak, and perceive English. Whereas it’s not as ordinarily accepted because the TOEFL, it’s maybe associate degree possibility at your faculty of alternative. If your faculty is one among these colleges, and you’re battling the TOEFL, you may wish to think about the IELTS. Do a touch analysis to see if this check is correct for you.
- Retake the TOEFL. If you’ve got enough time before your admissions point, retake the communication. You’ll be able to retake the communication every twelve days, with no limit to what number times you are taking it. However, if you don’t plan to check and prepare within the in the meantime, you possibly won’t have a lot of success on the retake.
The TOEFL may be a rigorous communication designed to see your success in associate degree as a result of it’s the foremost ordinarily accepted standardized check for non-native English speakers, it’s a crucial part of most tutorial packages. Being ready is that the smartest thing you’ll be able to do to try and do well on the check.
Now get scores INSTANTLY!
Evaluate your IELTS/TOEFL writing and speaking scores with corrections and suggestions. Practice in Real-Time and improve your exam scores.
AccioIbis for your TOEFL speaking and writing evaluation
If you are dedicated to improving your TOEFL Speaking and writing task then AccioIbis is the best solution. You can INSTANTLY evaluate your TOEFL speaking and writing tasks and get scores along with detailed feedback and suggestions. Also, AccioIbis is the only platform that can evaluate all the speaking tasks instantly and give you detailed feedback in just seconds!
Students around the globe are using AccioIbis to improve their TOEFL speaking task scores so what are you waiting for?
With AccioIbis TOEFL Instant Writing evaluation, you will get the power in your hands, no more waiting no more searching for the right teacher, simply register and start practising. You can practice from any device from any place.